Monday, April 4, 2011

RIP - April 4

If you've been to my house, you'll know I LOVE orchids.
I try my best to let my green thumb flourish, I can grow orchids really large but have such a hard time getting them to bloom! Maybe this is why..... 


Today I had to send my two biggest orchids go to a better place - my compost bin.
They have bugs. Yuck.


Apparently this type of bug is really common in store bought orchids.  If you know what to look for (leaves with a shiny, sticky substance on them, or little nubs under the leaves) then stay away! They can infect the rest of your orchids, possibly other plants too. They don't outright kill your plants, they just feed on them, sucking the nutrients out of them. No wonder I haven't gotten them to flower in years. 
"The internet experts" say to quarantine your new plants for a few months before bringing them close to your existing house plants. 
I haven't bought a new plant in years so they have obviously been sick and getting sicker for a long time.


Today I put them out of their misery.
RIP my poor orchids. 

No comments:

Post a Comment