Thursday, April 21, 2011

Finally - April 21

Finally. J is feeling better! 
After another long evening at the hospital, he's home and seems 100% back to himself. 


I took him to our family doctor yesterday and she was really concerned about his lethargy. He couldn't do anything for himself and it had been going on since Saturday. I tried to tell her his energy that day was an improvement, then she was really worried. She said children can succumb to dehydration. 
She gave me a plan. He had to drink 500 ml before 5pm. It was noon. Otherwise he was to go back in for more hydration. 
Sure, I thought he was doing so much better. He hadn't thrown up in over a day, the diarrhea had stopped too. He wasn't contagious anymore. Obviously he's better! 
I was wrong. 
I took him to visit Grandma 21 briefly while we picked up E from her house. J wasn't able to walk on his own so taking two babies to the doctor wasn't going to happen. 
I stopped at Second Cup to buy him a hot chocolate. The doctor had told me he needed sugar and fluids, hot chocolate seemed perfect. 
Of course, he wouldn't drink it. He couldn't even keep his balance and fell off a kitchen chair, flat on his face on the tile floor at Grandma's. 
I brought him home and put him down for a nap. Despite his need to fluids, he couldn't keep his eyes open. 
He slept for over 3 hours. I tried to wake him 3 times and each time I literally couldn't keep him awake. His eyes rolled back and he fell asleep again. 
Then I was worried!
I had C take him back to the Stollery after work. I definitely had not gotten 500ml into him, maybe 50ml. 
This time they got in much faster than Monday. C said the doctors were great. This time instead of IV hydration, they were thinking they'd need to put a tube down his throat to rehydrate him and allow his bowels to get the food and get moving again. 


They were able to give him an ultimatum. First, they'd try oral rehydration. 5ml of pedialyte every 2 minutes for an hour. He freaked out and wouldn't take the pedialyte but agreed to have milk instead.
C gave him 5ml of milk, every 2 minutes for an hour. 
He perked right up, I could hear him singing songs in the background of my phone updates. Wow. What a relief. 


It is amazing what calories and fluids can do!! 
He got home late last night, wanted to play with E and gave her hugs. I saw my first real smile in a week! 



J having breakfast this morning. I don't think I've ever been so pleased to see him scarf down his Cheerios!! 

1 comment:

  1. Glad he seems to be doing better. We have spent our fair bit of time in ER and admitted for asthma and it is so not fun. And, too about about that Veruca Salt character. I would have lost it.

    ReplyDelete