Saturday, April 16, 2011

Helper - April 15

J has been asking to help around the house a lot lately but I find it hard to think of things he can actually help with. 
Before Christmas, he started asking to help with sweeping but he'd use my broom to knock things down off the kitchen counters, so Santa brought him a mini sized broom and a dustpan. Unfortunately now he just uses that to knock things off the counter too, so it has been hidden. 
He helps move clothes from the washer into the dryer. 
He's been trying to help in the kitchen but that usually involves him standing on a chair watching while I worry he'll get cut or burnt. 
I need ideas on what he can SAFELY help with! 

I found a task for him yesterday. Watering plants!
Yes, he made a mess but the water on the floor helped wash off the mess he made during lunch. He had a great time so it was worth it. 

Any suggestions on tasks I can give a 2.5 yr old to help with around the house?? 

Kim

4 comments:

  1. Such a good question!! I am always looking for ideas too.
    I let the kids help me empty the dishwasher (not the cuttlery though), I often give them the vacuum (they don't do the best job but it keeps them busy)and the swiffering. I also give them the dusting clothes to dust over the coffee tables, etc.
    One thing my girl loves is to get a sponge covered with bubbles from my sink full of soapy water and she will scrub walls, cupboards, appliances, etc. Since I just give her the bubbles it gets only minimal water on the floor!
    I am hoping one day they will actually be a real help if we keep it up :)
    Both kids love to help bake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we would let G wipe counters and walls with a damp cloth. He's almost 4 now and can sometimes fold his clothes but he is really good at clearing his place and helping with the dishwasher and setting the table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, and if he wanted to help with cooking I would give him a separate bowl with a spoon and dry pasta. He did great. Unfortunately the same thing did not work with B - she eats the pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always let the boys help me cook and bake. Generally counting, sorting, dumping, and stirring is as far as it gets. Swiffers with the middles section taken out is fun for them. Water/vinegar rinse in a spray bottle with a rag is great because it is safe and they can clean any surface. Sorting and folding laundry, making their own bed, outdoor chores. Having a coat hook at J's height would be good - he could be in charge of getting and hanging up he and E's coats, and putting their shoes away. We also have J clear the table and set it up sometimes. And we are working on making the bed in the morning a fun thing.

    ReplyDelete