Monday, September 26, 2011

Salisbury Dutch Auction - Sept long weekend

So, I'm not sure if I have mentioned it before- but the people who owned our house previously were NOT yard people. All that was here was over grown bushes, dead grass, weeds and *gasp* fairy rings! 
Yes, we were "that yard." You know, the one on your block you steer clear of, hoping their weeds don't migrate over to your yard. 
It was pretty tough, coming from a yard we had created from scratch, with our own hands and that we cared for diligently. 
But, I will try to fix this one.
So the long weekend in September, I took a break from unpacking, enjoyed the unseasonably hot weather and I set out to replenish this garden and make it ours. 

Salisbury Greenhouse was having a Dutch Auction and so that weekend everything was 40% off. I loaded up my cart, not once, but twice. 
I was careful to pick plants based on their exposure, and height and potential size. I have never had a south facing perennial garden before. I'm used to shade plants. I love shade plants. 
I am going for a "tastefully full" garden this time around. I want the plants to be full and touching without much space in-between them. I'm hoping it works out. 

Here are my plants as babies. I dug out the tall and very big day lilies (the only things alive) and donated them to the boulevard in front of my in-laws house. The hostas were theirs too, out  in the sun, poor things. I haven't created a shade flower bed yet, so they remain in the front. I moved one to a shadier location towards the door but it is still pretty well full sun. 

I'm so excited to see how these all look in the spring!! 
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment