Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Family Reunion - July 2

C and I hadn't been to a family reunion in a couple of years now. I think our last reunion was when I was pregnant with J, so the summer of 2008. 
It wasn't that we didn't want to go, it was just difficult to see a little baby enjoying a full day out in the hot sun and then at 20 months, it still seemed risky to expose a little one to so much heat. 
This year C's immediate family was in charge and so we braved the Canada Day heat and headed to just outside Wainwright in a small area called Gild Edge (I think). 
Most of C's aunts, uncles and cousins and cousins families made the trip. 
We usually get to see the family once a year and it's always a blast. Because this was a five family reunion, there was a good handful of extra people, aside from C's immediate family, who came too.
J met "the girls." A girl I've seen before but don't know the exact relationship, and her friend. They are between 11-13 I'd guess and love little kids. They were so excited to hear a baby (E) was coming, although they spent most of the day entertaining and playing with the little boys. I wish they lived closer, I'd have them babysit in a heartbeat!!
We did all the normal family reunion stuff. The difference this year from the last time I went was there was enough little (and big) kids to have real races!  3 legged, sack races, straight up running races, toss the wet sponge ... lots of kids games. 
There is always a big horseshoe tournament which takes most of the day to complete. C and I both made it to the semi-finals, on different teams but got knocked out which was okay because it was time to be heading home. 
We had a great time - despite the heat, poplar fuzz and mosquitoes!!
The girls

This keg didn't last long! 

Impromptu water fight!

Baby E trying to keep cool.

Little boy races.

Little girl races.

Little kid sack races.

Lots of water! 

3 legged races.



No comments:

Post a Comment